For more detailed information about the FMD, prevention, and treatment of cardiovascular diseases, see Chapter 9, The Longevity Diet (New York: Avery/Penguin Books, 2018).
In our human clinical study involving 100 participants, FMD cycles affected many of the major risk factors or markers contributing to or associated with cardiovascular diseases, particularly in individuals at high risk. The results of the FMD related to cardiovascular diseases include the following:
- Reduced abdominal fat and circumference
- Major drop in the inflammatory risk factor, C-reactive protein
- Reduction in total and LDL cholesterol
- Lowering of triglycerides
- Reduction in systolic and diastolic blood pressure
- Reduction in fasting glucose